Forth District

The open air village

The Village of Tarbrax

Tarbrax sprung up about 1904 to house workers of the shale mines of the Tarbrax mining company, but by mid 1920 the works closed . The name is derived from the Lawhead Tarbrax estate within which it was built

Some houses were demolished and most people moved to nearby Forth looking for employment

On the leisure side Tarbrax has an excellent bowling green in tarbrax built in 1933 and still in use.

tarbrax shale bingtarbrax bowling green

Tarbrax. A Shale - Oil Industry Village, Facts, News & Memories.

This exciting new 65 page book is now availiable,

full of interesting facts and pictures of the village, throughout the years. 

The cost is £5 GB pounds plus postage.

Please Email John Kenneway for details.

The village of Tarbrax was built to house workers from the shale oil works, and shale mines on the edge of the Cobbinshaw Moor

This oil industry had its origins in an oil works opened in 1851 at Bathgate by Glasgow born James Paraffin Young

Latest Information

Old Forth School Closure.

See News & School Pictures for more details. 


15th June 2024

Forth & District Children`s GalaDay

Printable Heaven Card-making and Craft Supplies

Blackfriars Bakery

The Green Welly Stop

web traffic analysis